The Power of Small Habits
大改變往往從小習慣開始——把習慣縮到小到不可能拒絕,一年後就是驚人的累積。
Big changes usually start with small habits.
大的改變,通常是從小小的習慣開始的。
We often want to change our whole life at once.
我們常常想一次改變整個生活。
But huge goals can feel scary, and we give up quickly.
但太大的目標會讓人害怕,於是我們很快就放棄。
Small habits work better because they are easy to keep.
小習慣更有效,因為它們容易維持。
Reading one page a day sounds like nothing.
一天讀一頁,聽起來根本不算什麼。
Yet after a year, that is 365 pages.
但一年之後,那就是三百六十五頁。
The secret is to make the habit so small you cannot say no.
祕訣是把習慣縮到小到你無法拒絕。
Do it at the same time and place every day.
每天在同樣的時間、同樣的地點做它。
Soon, your brain does it almost automatically.
很快地,你的大腦幾乎會自動去做。
It also helps to connect a new habit to an old one.
把新習慣接在一個舊習慣後面也很有用。
For example, do ten push-ups right after you brush your teeth.
例如,刷完牙後馬上做十下伏地挺身。
Don't worry about being perfect.
別擔心要做得完美。
If you miss a day, just start again the next day.
如果漏了一天,隔天重新開始就好。
Small steps, repeated often, lead to big results.
小小的步伐,經常重複,就會帶來巨大的成果。
單字表
| 單字 | 詞性 | 音標 | 中文意思 | 發音 |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| habit | n. | /ˈhæbɪt/ | 習慣 | |
| change | n. | /tʃendʒ/ | 改變 | |
| goal | n. | /goʊl/ | 目標 | |
| scary | adj. | /ˈskɛri/ | 令人害怕的 | |
| give up | phr. | /gɪv ʌp/ | 放棄 | |
| keep | v. | /kip/ | 維持、保持 | |
| secret | n. | /ˈsikrɪt/ | 祕訣 | |
| automatically | adv. | /ˌɔtəˈmætɪkli/ | 自動地 | |
| connect | v. | /kəˈnɛkt/ | 連接 | |
| push-up | n. | /ˈpʊʃˌʌp/ | 伏地挺身 | |
| perfect | adj. | /ˈpɜrfɪkt/ | 完美的 | |
| repeat | v. | /rɪˈpit/ | 重複 | |
| result | n. | /rɪˈzʌlt/ | 成果、結果 |
實用提示
- 「give up」=放棄,是很常用的片語動詞:Don't give up.
- 「so small you cannot say no」用 so + 形容詞 + 子句表達「如此…以至於…」。
- 習慣堆疊法:connect a new habit to an old one(把新習慣接在舊習慣後面)。
- 重點觀念:Small steps, repeated often, lead to big results.(小步反覆,成就大改變。)